Friday, November 10, 2006

It felt like I might as well be walking in a small town in France

Pondicherry Rendezvous: Just got back from a nice and relaxing trip to Pondy aka Puducherry aka Pondicherry .I wanted to take a break away from work and the regular mundane world and didn't have any bookings or any inclination to head out to the tourist infested destinations in and around Bangalore for the 1st Nov. holiday here.Reaching Pondy from Bangalore is really easy and convenient. One could drive down(6-8hrs) or just get yourself a KSTRC Volvo bus ticket(150Rs Non-AC and 300Rs for AC) and you are all set. I didn't want to drive all the way down and hence booked myself a bus ticket. Once you are in Pondy just go and hire a cycle/bike(20/100 Rs a day).
One can also explore the city on foot walking around.Pondicherry is famous for its French Connection and became part of India in 1954 ,however it has had Portuguese ,Dutch ,Danes and English visitors over the centuries.There are tons of options one can find for spending a few days in and around Pondy. Places start from Rs100 and go all the way upto Rs 7000 a night. I booked myself into an Ashram Guest House (Park Guest House) with its wonderful sea facing Rooms. Thanks to a friend of mine ,Kartik who suggested this place. This place might not be for the city hoppers looking out for a bit of fun with its strict rules and 10:30pm entrance curfew!I was transported into a tranquel environment with no access to TV ,newspaper but just the sound of the waves.
As I spent most of days exploring Pondy on foot, I was transported into a different India, rather it felt like I might as well be walking in a small town in France. The place has maintained its heritage and architecture and one gets to see tons of different designs patterns and shapes .The surprising and astonishing part of the town is the stark difference between the Indian and French part of it. The french part with its well laid, sparkling clean streets with almost close to zero traffic sound/pollution with foot , cycle , two wheelers being the main form of travel. As you cross over the canal and move to the more newer Tamil part of Pondy , you come across the familiar chaos of an Indian town .
I also visted Auroville one of the days. Wish I could have spent a few days there. I am sure my next Pondy trip will only be to Auroville.The purpose of Auroville is to realise human unity and build a self sufficient community. 75% of its residents are foreign nationals who have made Auroville their home. Really green, peaceful and serene. I came across some intersting places inside the green forest and a few on the beach. There quite a few interesting projects pertaining to Architecture, Art, Organic Farming etc. happening here.
pics from Pondy: Sun n SandStreets of Pondy Useful Links: AurovillePondy Tourism WebsiteAurobindo Ashram posted by Anu at 8:46 AM, PermaLink Tuesday, November 07, 2006 Bangalore, Karnataka, India

1 comment:

  1. Hey are there too many bike renting places in Pondy. Where can I rent a bike.

    ReplyDelete