Monday, October 24, 2005

All Life is Yoga

Not to separate life in the Spirit from life as a whole is a challenge. We give in to the tendency to separate, categorize, compartmentalize. It is true as the book of of Ecclesiastes states in the Hebrew Bible, “For everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven, a time to be born and a time to die…”(chap 3).
But it is also true that our lives are one interwoven whole. My attention may turn to one aspect of my life or another, but my life is one, each aspect deeply integrated with every other aspect. Sri Aurobindo, the twentieth century mystic sage from India once wrote, “All life is yoga.” Yoga is not something that I do with a part of my life, or at a certain time in my life, but rather the awareness that everything is or can be a spiritual practice, indeed needs to be. At times I may be more attentive to my inner life or at another time more aware of a cry for help. Each moment is an opportunity to live in the Spirit with awareness. It is not so much what I do but the awareness with which I do it. This entry was posted on Thursday, April 28th, 2005 at 7:05 pm and is filed under Life, Spiritual Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment