Saturday, March 01, 2008

India is well-and-truly bereft of much-of-anything even resembling spiritual awareness

I was somewhat surprised to realize that, in the years I’ve lived in Pondicherry, within a few blocks of this historic building – which plays such an important symbolic role in the lives of so many of my close friends – I had never before been in this place, though it is open daily...

It is quite odd that I find myself living amid so much deeply felt spirituality to which I am so perfectly immune. (It is all the more interesting and ironic to be doing so for much of each year in India, a country that, for all its famous and much-trumpeted ancient experience, is well-and-truly bereft of much-of-anything even resembling spiritual awareness, as most spiritual people would probably define the term. But that is an essay to write – and a fight to pick, no doubt – on another day.) ...

Somehow, my seemingly intractable ignorance hasn’t diminished my curiosity with the subject. I have discovered one thing, though: always take a darshan when you can get one – even when it is with a room. memestream Room Darshan Published 29 February 2008 Art & Culture , Bio , India , Religion, Spiritualism & Other Make-Believe « Bon Fête Auroville

No comments:

Post a Comment