Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mud roads and complete absence of streetlights and signages

The next time I attempted to ride was when I was around 20 and in an expedition to Auroville. Auroville- international city, land of experiments and dreams, mud roads and complete absence of streetlights and signages...It had to be Auroville!
If you haven't been to Auroville, I'll let you know that there is no public transport. You get rent two wheelers and navigate through the dusty spiraling roads. And thats what my friends and I chose to do. All of them opted for mopeds or scooties and I settled for...guess what? A bicycle!!
To my surprise, I managed to ride back to our dorm. I was wobbly but I could ride. The next afternoon we planned a trip to the matr-mandir (the huge sphere at the eye of the spiraling roads). I rode. Wobble, ride, wobble, ride...when something in the way moves, stop the cycle. Its a simple enough process if you get used to it. My confidence rose and on the way back, it was smooth sailing until i lost my balance and drove right into a thorn bush!!! Need I say more?No more cycles please....I've given it up for the good. Mine and humanity in general!!! But I am learning to drive! Posted by Rain at 4:02 PM Tuesday, March 6, 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment