Monday, November 06, 2006

A meal at Auroville

GRILLED FISH Auroville, Pondicherry, Tamil Nadu Rs. 100 Pondicherry is a beautiful 3 hour drive from Chennai. I relished vistas of beautiful coconut trees and the East Cost Road shores. But the weather was testing. By the time I reached Pondy, the AC had proved ineffective; I wasn’t used to the uncomfortable humidity or heat. But my biggest regret came when I learnt we had arrived on a Sunday afternoon, Matrimandir or Auroville’s famous dome was closed for visitors. So my boyfriend decided we grab a bite in the Ashram’s canteen since it was 3 pm. There was Indian and continental food on the menu. There place was littered with hippy white people slicing bread and meat with their knives and forks. After much thought and looking around I decided fish would be the best choice. My fish was huge, accompanied by shredded strings of carrot, beetroot and cucumber generous drenched in butter. With some salt and pepper the perfectly grilled fish was a delightful, filling and healthy meal. At number 3 a meal at Auroville is my serious recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment