Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My father and Prafulla Chaki were cousins

From: "barin chaki" barin_chaki@yahoo.co.in To: "Tusar N. Mohapatra" tusarnmohapatra@mail.com Re: Savitri Era: Dear Chaki Babu Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:02:49 +0100 (BST)
Dear Tusar, I have read the message you have written for me and published in your blog.

I was named by my parents after Barin Ghosh, the younger brother of Sri Aurobindo. As you know Barin Ghosh was a revolutionary leader against the British Government. And I am born in the same family, wherein was born the other revolutionary Prafulla Chaki, the martyr who is still remembered : he was a disciple of Sri Aurobindo and of Barin Ghosh, too. My father and Prafulla Chaki were cousins – from two branches of the same tree. Another cousin of mine, Ramesh Chaki, more than three decades older than me, was a disciple of Barin Ghosh and was imprisoned for more than a decade, for his anti-British activities. My parents were also known to Hemchandra Das, one of the 24 disciples of Sri Aurobindo who were present on 24th November 1926. He visited our house a few times in my childhood. After the Gandhi-Nehru dominance in Indian politics, public attention gradually shifted from them. The people forgot them. And the Fire gradually dwindled, as the political scenario changed both in India and in West Bengal. The Nation almost forgot what they did. Even Sri Aurobindo is not properly understood or appreciated in many corners in India, especially in West Bengal.

The Fire ignited in me by my parents and by these legendary heroes in still there within me, though it is not comparable to the Fire they had in them, because they are rare persons. And I hope it will be burning for ever, though things may remain unknown, unseen.

Whenever there is some opposition to Sri Aurobindo and The Mother, to the Truth they have brought down, I try to stand up against the Opposition, within my limits, of course. And that I do in order to satisfy myself. This is my inspiration.

Speaking about myself is not my habit or practice. It is only because you raised the issue, which in the deepest depth of my mind and heart, that I spoke about it. Please do not think that I am boasting. But I was delighted and I remembered my childhood. Nobody asks these questions. You are totally different... Sincerely yours, With all the best wishes,
Barin 24-10-2006

No comments:

Post a Comment