Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Dr Nirodbaran

The news of Nirodbaran's passing brings a feeling of loss, as if a golden age had finally drawn to a close, a golden age not only for the Ashram but for the world; and also a feeling of deep gratitude for the life of this great man. He honoured AVI with his presence at the conclusion of our meeting in Auroville, and many of us who were present were privileged to receive a blessing packet from his hands. His room near the Samadhi was a refuge of peace and calmness to many who came from near and far. - Sonia
I was seventeen when I bought the book "Twelve years with Sri Aurobindo" by Nirod da. Although it was some years before I read the book from cover to cover, I still remember vividly the day I had bought the book. I was staying with Anjana di for a couple of days around my 17th birthday. As it was my birthday, I was allowed to go to Sri Aurobindo's room in the morning. The day before, I had, as was customary during my visits to the Ashram, purchased several books from SABDA, including some volumes by Nirod da. Nirod da was some kind of a powerful figure to my 17 year old mind. He was, at that time, 94 years old.. ripe old age in my context, lived right next to Mother's samadhi and had spent time with Sri Aurobindo. Several people from Singapore, who had been to the Ashram, mentioned their interaction with Nirod da in their talks.
I was expecting to meet him as Patel uncle had also mentioned a possible meeting during my visit. So when Anjana di suggested that we go to visit Nirod da after visiting Sri Aurobindo's room, I jumped at the chance. Anjana di also asked me to bring along my book, to request Nirod da to sign it. I still remember much of the conversation. Myself I was mostly thrilled as Anjana di made the introductions. I remember Nirod da telling Anjana di that her father (Patel uncle) is a pillar. I remember him asking me what I wanted to become when I grew up, expressing surprise when I told him that I wanted to become a doctor. I remember him signing my book "To Kiruthika, With Sri Aurobindo's blessings and my best wishes, Nirodbaran".
Most of all, I remember him smiling and handing out blessing packets to us before saying goodbye. That was my first contact. There were many others. Short visits to Nirod da's room during visits to the Ashram, buying Gouda cheese for him from Mustafa, and receiving blessing packets from him in Sri Aurobindo's room... News of his passing came, not so much as a shock, but as a piece of indigestible information. For once, I was at a loss of words. This marvelous person, who had been with Sri Aurobindo during the last twelve years of his physical lives, corresponded with him as a friend - has had a very special life. This is to you, Nirod da, from the depths of our heart. - Kiruthika
The Sri Aurobindo Society, Singapore is located at: 2A Starlight Road 01-07, Singapore Indian Fine Arts Society Building, Singapore 217755 sas_webteam@yahoo.com
Miraura Integral Yoga: Maintained by BernardThe Home-page of the Ashram Sri Aurobindo Society - Pondicherry Auroville: The Vision and the dream of the MotherAuroville Today: A monthly english publication providing in-depth information on AurovilleSABDA Search For Light The Last Darshan Of The Mother - Video

No comments:

Post a Comment