Thursday, February 02, 2006

My Golden Years

By Kusum Gheewala Hinduism Today October 1993
I went to the Ashram in 1968. I was only 12. I remained there until 1973. The Mother would look at the photo of the person applying and decide. What I am today is the product of the Ashram. How can I relate what I have gained during my time there? It is an inner experience. I used to ask my teachers, "What is the aim of life?" The teachers are all sadhaks; teaching is their sadhana. Sri Aurobindo explained, "nothing can be taught"--knowledge is within each individual and the task of the teacher is to help bring this out. However, before I digress any further, my teachers would guide me to study books on different religions, different philosophies, different psychologies, different systems of yoga and works of Sri Aurobindo. One day in my chemistry lesson, secretly reading Synthesis of Yoga, the answer to my question dawned on me. It was an experience, and I continue to carry it with me. This truth cannot be revealed in words but has to be lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment